The purpose of this project is to implement a portable GPS locator / geocaching finder with the Cortex-M3 based Luminary Micro LM3S1968 evaluation board.
The device proposes a user interface to configure the GPS coordinates of a target location and shows on the OLED display the direction and distance to reach the target.
- Luminary Micro LM3S1968 Evaluation Kit;
- a GPS module;
- a mobile phone battery.
BeRTOS components used for this project:
- Kernel with preemptive scheduler and task priorities;
- Device drivers: UART, OLED display, navigation/select pushbuttons;
- NMEA parser;
- GFX library (+ menu management module).
The GPS module is connected to UART1 RX pin (UART0 is kept for debugging purposes). The mobile phone batter is used as a power source both for the GPS module and the LM3S1968 board.
From the software's point of view, BeRTOS already provides the drivers to manage all the required devices and a NMEA parser to retrieve the right informations from the raw GPS strings: position, date & time, link quality.
The multi-process environment and preemptive scheduler provided by BeRTOS is exploited to create independent threads operating in producer/consumer way:
- a thread takes care of retrieving and processing NMEA string from the UART;
- a thread manages the GUI, updating the OLED display on new GPS informations or user's input;
- a thread reports the status of the GPS receiver blinking a LED when GPS data are correctly received.
The GUI is organized using a main menu that allows to select:
- a form to insert the target GPS coordinates;
- a form showing a compass with target direction, distance and GPS positions to reach the target;
- a form to show the status of the GPS receiver.
BeRTOS has a builtin graphics module.
BeRTOS text management facilities ease development process.
NOTE: the distance is evaluated using the Haversine formula between the current and target GPS position. The Haversine formula remains particularly well-conditioned for numerical computation even at small distances, making the device particularly useful when walking, hiking or moving at a close distance to the target.
Download BeRTOS SDK!
- With BeRTOS SDK you can generate and edit directly a sample project and setup your work environment in a few click! Download it now!