A new version of BeRTOS operating system is released. This version is compatible with the previous release so you can easily upgrade your existing installation.
Major features present in version 2.4:
- Preemptive Scheduler: a long awaited feature is now in BeRTOS!
- Add heap module to the Wizard: now you can use and configure the BeRTOS dynamic memory allocator directly from the wizard
- Dynamic memory allocation for processes: you don't need to provide a memory area for your processes, the stack will be automatically created by the kernel
- Synchronous Timer Scheduler: convenient API to perform periodic tasks on very tiny embedded systems
- New driver: Texas Instruments TLV5618 DAC module
The default scheduler for the preemptive kernel is round robin, priority based; however, you can implement many hard real time schedulers for your applications.
We aim to provide support for Stellaris Cortex-M3 MCU and Arduino Duemilanove (AVR 328) boards in the next version. This will broaden BeRTOS scope and make it easy to port it to different boards (eg. TI or Philips).
In the near future we want to provide a guide to port BeRTOS to different CPUs of the same family. Such task is much easier than porting to a completely different architecture; we have estimated 3-4 working days to complete the port. In the meanwhile, if you would like to use BeRTOS on an unsupported ARM7TDMI or AVR CPU, ask for support on the mailing list.
Have fun with BeRTOS!